Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was born to Lydia Perez (a merchant marine) in Bushwick, Brooklyn. She is of Puerto Rican descent. Rosie has graduated from Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood in Queens, New York. She then enrolled at Los Angeles City College. Rosie Perez was just starting her second year at college, and was about to return to New York. Her friends had invited her to an elopement party. The moment Spike Lee proposed that she participate in his film Do the Right Thing (1989), she agreed. It was her first major role as an actor. In Peter Weir's Fearless (1993) she played the supporting role Carla Rodrigo, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Artistress. (She lost to Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993). At the beginning of my career, the Latin community was responsible for the majority of the criticism I received. They would take me out for lunch and ask, "Can I go and take some lessons to reduce my accent?" or "Can you be funny and loud during a talk show?" The people were so critical of my voice, they dealt me a lot of criticism. My voice was something I couldn't bear to change. As I got older my octaves slowed down and I am grateful for that. It's all about getting past your fears. Boxing is all about fighting for your rights. Floyd Mayweather could get punched by a straight punch in the middle and to his face and he'd not even flinch. I can understand what he's doing. He mentioned that Don Cornelius was fascinated with her dancing] Don Cornelius was not interested in seeing me actually dance. I was performing hip-hop, which was a different style for Californians. They knew only about popping and locking, so they didn't like hip-hop dancing. Don was as if, "No. You're a girl." I thought "What?" This is really bizarre. It was really strange.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amy Carlson

Briga Heelan

Beautiful pics of Helene Fischer and Claudia Wells feet & legs